Eric is living in Chapel Hill, NC. By night, he writes and edits science fiction. On weekends, he spends too much time making plumbers hop on things. Eric has posted 249 posts at DZone. You can read more from them at their website. View Full User Profile

Ask DZ: What You Wish You Had Known 2 Years Ago

09.17.2012
| 6428 views |
  • submit to reddit

At TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon, New Relic asked developers what they wished they'd known two years ago. Answers included:

• "It's easier than you think."
  • "You're going to test everything."
  • "The power of cloud APIs."
  • "I wish I'd known how much easier it would get…with things like GitHub and social code-sharing."
  • "The things I knew two years ago aren't relevant anymore."
  • "I wish I knew how to code two years ago."
This got us wondering: what one piece of coding advice do you most wish you could pass on to the 2010 version of you? Were you a fresh-faced beginner, back in those bygone days? Is there a language you wish you'd known, or a line of code that would've made your life simpler? Hop in the DeLorean and save yourself some trouble in the comments.

Published at DZone with permission of its author, Eric Gregory.

Comments

Mitch Pronschinske replied on Mon, 2012/09/17 - 9:30am

I wish (and I think a lot of developers and enterprises might regret this now) that I had known that Flash was on its way out of the mainstream, but I guess the signs were there with the iPhone not supporting it.  I'm sure everyone saw HTML5 and JavaScript getting huge, but I don't think everyone believed it could properly replace most of the things that Flash did.

Ibrahim Levent replied on Mon, 2012/09/17 - 3:31pm

I wish I understood the real value of "Object-oriented JavaScript". I've recently finished a big refactoring to convert functional JavaScript codes into object-oriented JavaScript codes. The result was awesome. Before starting this work, I deem myself I know JavaScript good enough to write good JS code but I was wrong. There are many fresh topics there for web developers to learn; static-intance JavaScript objects, inheritance, design patterns, modularization, custom events, scoping, namespacing, web components, DOM binding, selectors, lazy loading scripts etc.

As a Java Web developer, I'd assumed object-orientation is a thing of server-side coding but it has many advantages in client codes as well.

Mitch Pronschinske replied on Mon, 2012/09/17 - 4:06pm in response to: Ibrahim Levent

@Ibrahim

We're actually thinking of writing a Refcard about Object-Oriented JavaScript.  Let us know if you'd like to review the card or help author it.  (curators [at] dzone.com)

Ibrahim Levent replied on Tue, 2012/09/18 - 4:17am in response to: Mitch Pronschinske

Actually, I plan to write an article about the patterns I used during the development. When I finish the article, I'll post to curators email address and some of them may be used in refcard or if you send refcard to me, I'd like to review it.

Prasanth Babu replied on Tue, 2012/09/18 - 12:45pm

I wish I would have learned any of the BPM tools.Oracle SOA suite 10/11g.

Star Khan replied on Sun, 2013/04/21 - 10:45am

A fantastic blog always comes-up with new and helpful information and while reading I have feel that this blog is really have all those quality that qualify a blog to be a good one. avocat a laval

Sadia Sulaman replied on Mon, 2013/04/29 - 11:44am

I really think I am pretty much ready for this next installment and I have longed for this for so many months now.

interest rates in australia

Kamran Shafqat replied on Sat, 2013/06/08 - 5:36am

Share It

Share It

Star Khan replied on Tue, 2013/07/02 - 11:44am

I work using sessions your blog in many cases along with advisable the item to me to learn in addition. The actual writing style is definitely excellent and the submissions. american restaurant

Star Khan replied on Mon, 2013/07/15 - 11:38am

Thanks for getting the tim to publish these details very beneficial!I’m continue to anticipating a number of useful opinions from your area with your up coming posting many thanks ballerine femme

Comment viewing options